A Love Knit Up

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Sheep Shawl

I am currently in the process of becoming obsessed with lave. Lace is bautiful, interesting to knit, and rewarding to block (which most knitting patterns are not). In addition, people seem to take joy in designing lace knitting patterns that I want to make. (Also, part of this obsession is fueled by the five miles of lace yarn I likely have waiting for me in California...)

I have recently bought some yarn from handpaintedyarn.com, which has absolutely gorgeous lace yarn. My favorite yarn is this:

(The picture is theirs; I still haven't set things up so that I can take digital images easily.) Isn't it great? Isn't it cheerful? It just makes me want to hug myself. I can't wait until I get it. I want to use it to make the Sheep Shawl, by Fiber trends. Wouldn't that be great? A cheerful scene in cheerful yarn? It just makes me tingle all over. (Ok, I know it makes me unreasonably happy. But it's sheep! and yellow! and sun!) This shawl, just lie the other shawls by its designer, is a garter stitch lace shawl. It seems to me that the garter stitch is unnecessary; it should be just as good if the even rows are purled, thus making it stockinette. Does anyone know whether this would work? (Is anyone reading this?)

Oh, and my spinning kit should be arriving any day now. I've made a bargain with myself: I wont' make myself wait to use it as long as I don't read Yarn Harlot before my thesis is due. Sounds reasonable, doesn't it? I spend hours and hours a day reading the archives of that blog; it should be better to spend an hour or so a day learning to spin. Right? Right? (I am not going to mention that my reserve copy of Knitting Rules! is RIGHT NOW waiting for me in the bookstore, just itching to be picked up... it won't take that long to read...right?)

And on a completely different note, a friend of mine wants to learn to make Klein bottle hats. Does anyone know of a good Klein bottle hat pattern that would be easy for a beginner to make? (Is anyone reading this?)

1 Comments:

  • Why, yes, there is someone out here :) I know that garter stitch and stockinette have different row gauges, so if you're picking up stitches on the outside of either, you'll pick up a different number. Stockinette is something like picking up 2 out of every 3 rows - but garter is even, I think, so pick up every row. Plus, garter makes the shawl "reversible." That's probably why it was done that way.

    I hope that helps! And good luck with the thesis - I've been "working" on mine for so long, I think my time's run out, sigh :)

    By Blogger tenacious knitter, at 10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home